In 2020, the global community will mark the twenty-fifth anniversary of the Fourth World Conference on Women and adoption of the Beijing Declaration and Platform for Action (1995). A five-year milestone will be reached towards achieving the Sustainable Development Goals of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. 2020 is therefore a pivotal year for the accelerated realization of gender equality and the empowerment of all women and girls, everywhere.
The sixty-fourth session of the Commission on the Status of Women is planned to take place at the United Nations Headquarters in New York from 9 to 20 March 2020. Representatives of Member States, UN entities, and ECOSOC-accredited non-governmental organizations (NGOs) from all regions of the world are invited to attend the session.
- Download the CSW64 Brochure for more information:
Arabic | English | French | Spanish
- Download the Information note for participants
- Download more information useful in preparation for, and during the session:
Visit our CSW Mobile App page or scan the QR link to download the CSW Mobile App on iOS or Android and create your own schedule!
The main focus of the session will be on the review and appraisal of the implementation of the Beijing Declaration and Platform for Action and the outcomes of the 23rd special session of the General Assembly. The review will include an assessment of current challenges that affect the implementation of the Platform for Action and the achievement of gender equality and the empowerment of women and its contribution towards the full realization of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.
The Bureau of the Commission plays a crucial role in facilitating the preparation for, and in ensuring the successful outcome of the annual sessions of the Commission. Bureau members serve for two years. In 2002, in order to improve its work and ensure continuity, the Commission decided to hold the first meeting of its subsequent session, immediately following the closure of the regular session, for the sole purpose of electing the new Chairperson and other members of the Bureau (ECOSOC decision 2002/234).
The Bureau for the 64th session (2020) of the Commission on the Status of Women comprises the following members:
- H.E. Mr. Mher Margaryan (Armenia), Chair (Eastern European States Group)
- Ms. Zahraa Nassrullah (Iraq), Vice-Chair designate (Asia-Pacific States Group)
- Ms. Jo Feldman (Australia), Vice-Chair (Western European and other States Group)
- Ms. Ahlem Sara Charikhi (Algeria), Vice-Chair designate (African States Group)
- Ms. Devita Abraham (Trinidad and Tobago), Vice-Chair designate (Latin American and Caribbean States Group)
- National-level reviews: States are called upon to undertake comprehensive national-level reviews of the progress made and challenges encountered.
- Regional 25-year review processes: The regional commissions of the United Nations are invited to undertake regional reviews and convene regional intergovernmental meetings. These will feed into the sixty-fourth session of the Commission.
- Expert Group Meeting: Beijing +25: Current context, emerging issues and prospects for gender equality and women’s rights
Organization of the Session
- Modalities of NGO participation
- Opportunities for NGOs to address the Commission